Wednesday 18 December 2013

Overall Project Evaluation

For this project we were focusing on the formal elements with photography which are line, colour, pattern, depth, texture, reflection, form, tone, shape and movement.  I started off by list of word of how we can describe the visual world which got me to start thinking about different ways to show the formal elements through photography. I then did I mind map of the formal element which included describing words and real examples for each one. From this I was able to refer back to this is help me when looking at different things to take photographs of. When exploring these formal elements i wanted to show them in a way in which is different from any other photograph. At first i thought that the formal elements were simple however are researching into them through image banks and definitions I was able to see a different aspect to the formal elements. This then allowed to be exploring the formal elements referring back to what I had researched during the lesson.

I then went and created a research log of 20 photographers who showed the formal elements in their photographs. From this I could see the different ways of showing the formal elements and I was influenced in a way in which I wanted to make me photographs more abstract and less obvious. After this I then chose my favourite 5 photographers to research into further, I evaluated 4 of their photographs and included and influence and summary section. This showed what I had learnt from the photograph and how my work has been influenced by them. I feel that this helped me with the project as I was able to develop my understanding of different ways to show the formal elements. Lastly I did 5 connecting essay which allowed me to link my photographs with another photographs, by doing  this I was able to identify the different themes, lighting , colours, angles and compositions of my photographs.

After each lesson I would write a work record which showed 2 of my best photographs from the lesson and a small evaluation on each one.  I also included a ‘if I was to continue’ section which helped me reflect on what I could have done to improve my photographs  and I would take this comment on board in the next lesson to ensure my photographs are the best they can be.  

As a part of this project I had to complete the following print techniques: Black and white, curves, duo tone, repetition, selective colour, photo joiner, soft focus, cluster and weaving. All of these print techniques allowed me to explore different ways of editing my photographs but also choosing the correct photo to do the print technique to. This was because I realised that not all the print techniques look good on all photographs. This then made me think about which photographs I should use to fore feel the print technique to best it can be.I also had to complete 10 computer experiments and 8 physical experiments. This allowed me explore my photographs in a way in which it is presented and how it is portraying the visual world.

Lastly I did some development work to help with my understanding of photography. We started off by going to two walks and taking photographs which represented quite refection. This allowed me to explore the visual world and put my own interpretation on quite reflection. I then did two studio shoots, one on form and one on autumn colours. This was the first time using the studio so it allowed me explore with the lighting when shooting form as I wanted to create a shadow on the subjects face. At first this was not very successful as I was still adapting to the studio but eventually I was able to perfect the lighting that I wanted. Finally as a class we watched a documentary on Robert Mapplethorpe, after this I went and took my own Robert Mapplethorpe style photographs. This was something I had never done before, however by moving me out of my comfort zone I feel that I have now gained a different view on photographs and how they can have depths of meaning even though they are simple.

I learnt from photography that the more photograph that you take the better. This is then allows you to compare them and see which one looks better even though they may be of the same thing. I also learn that there will always be something different in each photograph which make one better than the rest. Therefore in the future I will continue to take as many photographs as possible.

Overall all of the aspects to this project have developed my understanding of photography and have changed the way I see a good photograph. I now feel confident in all situations when taking photographs and the research that I have done has helped me a lot when taking my own photographs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment